District Court General Information

What is Naturalization?

Naturalization is the process by which U.S. Citizenship is conferred upon a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (see below).

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) processes all naturalization applications and provides the Court with a list of the candidates selected to be naturalized in the Federal Court.


Currently, the selection consists of only those petitioners who have requested to:

  • Participate in the Naturalization Ceremony and swear the oath of allegiance in formal court proceeding.
  • Change their names legally and have their new names appear on the Certificate of Naturalization.


Note The U.S. District Court DOES NOT process name changes after the Naturalization process has been completed.  Citizens who wish to amend the Name Change Petition after it has been granted, or who are wishing to change their name after the Naturalization process has been completed will need to go through their county court system, and follow that county's procedures for a name change.

Naturalization Ceremonies are held in Boise and Pocatello.  For a schedule of hearings on petitions, click the Naturalization Schedule below.

If you need further information concerning the naturalization process, information in regard to old naturalization records, or more specific ceremony information: please call the U.S. Court Naturalization Clerk's Office at (208) 334-9387.

Naturalization Schedule for Idaho

Naturalization Ceremonies

The District of Idaho is operating in a limited capacity due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.  We will be working to schedule future ceremonies and will post a schedule when dates have been determined.

Note: The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) also holds administrative Naturalization Ceremonies that do not involve the Court.  If you have a question about your ceremony or need additional assistance, please call the USCIS Contact Center at (800)375-5283 or visit the USCIS Contact Center website at: https://www.uscis.gov/contactcenter.


Attending a Naturalization Ceremony

The USCIS mails citizen candidates a form “N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony”, informing them of the details regarding their scheduled ceremony. It is important to follow all directions on the form, including arrival time.

Candidates for Citizenship are to appear in-advance of the ceremony for check-in purposes.  If you plan to invite guests to attend the ceremony, please refer to your Notice for the check-in time and the ceremony start time, so your guests may plan accordingly.

Citizenship candidates will be seated separately from guests. Parents of young children, if you are the citizenship candidate, please make sure another adult is present to sit with your children during the ceremony.

Limited seating is available for family members and visitors on a first come/first served basis.

If the ceremony is held in the courthouse, you must show a photo ID to enter the premises and will be required to pass through security screening.

Typically, cameras are not allowed in the courthouse, however, the Court has authorized the use of cameras during the Naturalization Ceremony.

No weapons of any type, drugs or other illegal items are allowed.

Frequently Asked Questions about Naturalization:

How do I become a naturalized citizen?

Please consult A Guide to Naturalization for eligibility requirements and what to expect from the naturalization process.

I lost my Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization. How do I obtain a copy of the Certificate?

The Clerk’s Office does not keep or provide Certificates of Citizenship. The Certificate must be obtained from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. More information is available at: www.uscis.gov, or by calling (800) 375-5283. The Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document (form number N-565) and instructions for completing the form are available online.

I’m a naturalized citizen and I would like to change my name. What's the procedure?

Name changes will ONLY be granted if the new citizen attends the naturalization ceremony and completes a Name Change Petition. If the name was not changed on that day, then you must to contact your local County Court Clerk’s Office for the proper procedures and costs.

How do I obtain of copy of my Name Change Petition?

If you were naturalized at the United States District Court for the District of Idaho, in 1992 or thereafter -- please call the Clerk’s Office at (208) 334-9387 to verify your naturalization date. Upon providing a picture I.D., the Clerk’s Office will provide a copy of the Name Change Petition. If a certified copy is requested, there is an applicable fee of $11.00.

May I process my passport application with the Clerk’s Office?

The United States Postal Service processes passport applications. Passport applications are available at:  www.usps.com.  The USPS Locator link finds the nearest Post Office that accepts passport applications.

The U.S. Department of State provides additional information regarding passports at: travel.state.gov.

Top of Page

Request Records - Freedom of Information Act

Under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act (PA), you can request:

  • Immigration records, whether your own or someone else’s with their permission; and

  • Agency policies, data, communications, and other records.


Immigration Services

The Idaho State Library has microfilm containing most of our older naturalization records.  The most recent information would only be available from the federal court or through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service in Boise or Helena, Montana.

Helpful Links
US Citizenship and Immigration Services
A Guide to Naturalization
Welcome to the United States
A Guide for New Immigrants
Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
Oath of Allegiance
Top of Page