Building & U.S. Courthouse
205 N. Fourth St
*Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814
*Coeur d'Alene was named by early French-speaking
traders who also named the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe. The most common theory for the name is that trappers
considered the local Indian community sharp traders, hence the
defining name, heart of an awl.
Fort Sherman was established in 1878 and Coeur d'Alene grew around the fort. It was not until the discovery of gold in 1883 on Prichard Creek that many settlers arrived in the area.
Steamboat traffic began to flourish on Lake Coeur d'Alene in 1889 when lakes and rivers were used to move supplies to mining and lumber camps. The logging industry flourished during the early 1900s. Logs were transported to mills in the area by the surrounding lakes and rivers. During this time Coeur d'Alene also became a popular tourist spot as the electric train brought people from Spokane, Washington to enjoy the parks, beaches and excursion boats.
Courthouse was "acquired" by GSA in 1928 and is now on the National
Registry of Historic Buildings.